If you're having guests over, or simply want to spruce up your home, a tablecloth can be a nice touch. When purchasing a tablecloth, you want to make sure it fits your table. This can be tricky. You can decide on a tablecloth size based on the type of occasion you're planning. If you're not buying a tablecloth for a special occasion, consider the number of people that usually sit at your table. With some careful planning, you can easily find the right tablecloth for your needs.
1.Choosing Based on the Occasion
Consider the occasion. If you're picking a tablecloth for an occasion, consider the nature of that occasion. Depending on the event type, there should be different levels of drop from the edge of the table to the bottom of the tablecloth.
- For a formal occasion, such as a wedding, you want a longer drop. Have about 15 inches from the edge of the table to the bottom of the tablecloth.
- For a casual occasion, like a low-key birthday party, you do not need as long of a drop. Aim for a 6-to-8 inch drop from the edge of the table to the bottom of the tablecloth
Measure your table. There is a simple calculation you can use to determine the measurements of your tablecloth. To start, you'll need to know the measurements of your table.
- For a rectangular or square-shaped table, use a measuring tape to measure your table's length and width.
- For a round table, you'll need to measure the diameter of your table. A diameter is the straight line going through the center of a circle
Calculate the proper size for a square or rectangle table. If you have a rectangular table, you'll need to know your desired drop. Remember, this depends on the type of event you're planning.
- To start, add twice the desired drop to both the length and width of the table. For example, say your table is 40 inches wide and 70 inches long. You want a 6-inch drop. You would add 12 to 40, to get 52. You would then add 12 to 70, to get 82.
- The resulting values are the dimensions of the tablecloth you should aim to purchase. In our above example, you should look for a tablecloth that is 52 X 82 inches.
Figure out the size for a round table. Calculating the dimensions of a round table is somewhat simpler. To figure out your length, you simply add twice your desired drop by your table's diameter. Say you want a 9-inch drop and your table has a diameter of 60 inches. You would add 18 to 60, getting 78. When purchasing a tablecloth, select a 78 inch round tablecloth.
2.Considering the Number of People
Choose a tablecloth for a round table. You can also select a tablecloth based on the number of people that typically sit at the table. You simply select from a range of values. You can go slightly higher or lower in that range if you want a bigger or larger drop.
- For a round table, you'll have to purchase a circle-shaped tablecloth. If you're seating 2 to 4 people, 72 inches should be enough. If you're seating 6 to 8 people, go for a 86-to-90 inch tablecloth. If you're seating more people than this, you're likely planning an event. You should measure your table following the above directions.
- Some tables have what is called a leaf or leaves. This is a section in the center of a table, or on its sides, that extends the table's length. With round tables, leaves generally change the table to an oval shape. If you intend to use your table's leaves, you'll have to buy an oval-shaped tablecloth and purchase different measurements.
- With leaves, go for an 80-to-90 inch tablecloth for 6 people. If you're seating 6 to 8 people, aim for something in the realm of 102-to-108 inches. For 10 to 12 people, go for something between 124 and 126-inches
Select a tablecloth for a square table. Most square tables, without leaves, can only seat around 4 people. When seating 4 people on a round table, you can usually get by with a tablecloth of 52-to-54 inches. Choose a square tablecloth.
- With leaves, you'll need to purchase an oblong tablecloth as the shape of your table changes. For seating 2 to 4 people, a 70-inch oblong table cloth should be sufficient.
- For seating 6 people, go for an 80-to-90 inch oblong tablecloth. For 8 to 10 people, aim for something between 102 and 108-inches.
- For 10 to 12 people, you should purchase an oblong table cloth between 124 and 126-inches. If you're seating 14 people, try a 144-inch tablecloth.
Find the right size for a rectangular table. Regardless of whether or not you're using leaves, you'll need an oblong tablecloth for a rectangle table. For a table of four people, you should be able to get by with a 70-inch oblong tablecloth. For 6 people, aim for something between 80 and 90 inches
- For 8 to 10 people, choose a cloth in the 102-to-108 inch range. For 10 to 12 people, select a tablecloth between 124 and 126-inches.
- For 12 to 14 people, get a 144-inch oblong tablecloth.